By Carrie Dorr
Serves 12-18 pancakes
1. 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats (or oat flour)
2. 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
3. 1 tsp baking powder
4. 1/2 tsp baking soda
5. 1/2 tsp sea salt
6. 2 tbsp coconut sugar
7. 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
8. 3/4 cup milk
9. 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
10. 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
11. 1 cup spinach
12. 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
13. 1 large egg
14. 1-2 tbsp butter (or coconut oil) for greasing the griddle
1. Preheat an electric griddle to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the old-fashioned oats in your Vitamix (or other high-powered blender) and blend starting on low speed and increasing to high.
3. Blend for 30-60 seconds or until oats have become a fine powder and look like flour.
4. Remove oats from blender and place into a large mixing bowl.
5. Add flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coconut sugar and cinnamon to the oat flour and stir to combine. Set aside.
6. Add milk, Greek yogurt, applesauce and spinach to the container of your Vitamix.
7. Blend starting on low speed and increasing to high.
8. Blend on high speed for 30-60 seconds until mixture is smooth and homogenous.
9. Add vanilla extract and egg and pulse until just combined.
10. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
11. Grease your preheated griddle with butter, coconut oil or cooking spray.
12. Carefully place 1/4 cup portions of pancake batter onto the griddle about 1-2” apart.
(13) Cook on the first side until the edges become firm and the batter begins to bubble slightly (3-5 minutes).
(14) Flip and cook on the second side until golden brown (about 3-4 more minutes).
(15) Repeat until all the batter has been used!
(16) Serve warm with maple syrup!