By Frank Dorr
(1) 1 tbsp oil
(2) 1 onion, diced
(3) 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
(4) 3 cloves garlic, chopped
(5) 1 tsp cumin, toasted and ground
(6) 3 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
(7) 1 cup salsa verde
(8) 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
(9) 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
(10) 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
(11) 1/2 tsp oregano
(12) 1 tbsp lime juice (~1/2 lime)
(13) 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
(14) salt and pepper to taste
(1) Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onion and jalapeno peppers and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
(2) Add the garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
(3) Add the broth, salsa verde, chicken, beans, quinoa and oregano, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the quinoa is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
(4) Remove the chicken, shred or dice, return to soup along with the lime juice and cilantro, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Slow Cooker: Optionally implement steps 1 & 2, place everything except the lime juice and cilantro in the slow cooker and cook on for 3 hours on high.
Option: Add 1 cup zucchini along with the chicken.
Option: Add 1 cup corn 5 minutes before taking off the heat.
Option: Replace the jalapeno peppers with poblano peppers or 1 4.5 ounce can of diced green chilies.