By Frank Dorr
Serves 4-6 (makes 24 meatballs)
(1) 1 medium yellow onion
(2) 4 garlic cloves
(3) 2 tbsp olive oil (plus more for searing)
(4) salt, to taste
(5) 1/4 tsp chili flakes
(6) 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
(7) 1 28oz can whole tomatoes
(8) 2 tbsp finely chopped basil leaves
(9) 1 tbsp finely shopped parsley leaves
(10) 1 egg
(11) 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
(12) 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
(13) 1 pound ground dark meat tukey
(14) 1 tsp salt
(1) Chop onion and mince garlic.
(2) Heat olive oil in medium size pan, add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes (until onion is just starting to brown).
(3) Add large pinch of salt, chili flakes and fennel seeds and cook for another 3 minutes. Let mixture cook for 5 minutes.
(4) Pour half of the onion mixture into a large bowl, add canned tomatoes. Using your hands, crush tomatoes.
(5) Add the remaining onion mixture, basil leaves, parsley leaves, egg, parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, ground turkey and salt to a large bowl. Mix ingredients together until combined. Shape mixture into 24 golf-ball-size meatballs.
(6) Heat pan over medium high heat, add a bit of olive oil and sear meatballs.
(7) As you brown the meatballs, transfer them to the crockpot. When all of the meatballs are browned and added to the crockpot, pour tomato onion and garlic mixture (sauce) over the top.
(8) Set crockpot on low and cook for 6 hours.
(9) Serve over polenta, with homemade focaccia, or with spaghetti.