By Tammy Stokes, Founder Cafe West Express
Yields 6 Servings
1. 1 cup coconut palm sugar
2. 1 vanilla bean
3. 1 cup + 2 tbsp gf oat flour
4. 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
5. 2lbs of apples (I like using firm apples especially Honey Crisp or Braeburn) peeled and cut into slices.
6. 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
7. 1/4 tsp pink salt
8. 1/4 cup unsoftened butter + a small amount extra to grease pan
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a glass baking dish. Place 1/3 cup of the sugar into a large sized bowl.
2. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the vanilla bean into the bowl. Combine well with sugar mixture. Add 2 tablespoons of the oat flour and lemon juice. Mix together. Add the apples. Stir to coat.
3. Put the mixture into the buttered glass pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
4. For the topping, mix the remaining 1 cup of oat flour, 2/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes. Add the butter cubes to the flour mixture to resemble crumbs. Sprinkle over baked apples.
5. Return to the oven and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.